The living room is one of the most important rooms of the house, because that is where most of the time. Most living rooms should be multifunctional and have enough seating to comfortably fit the whole family and guest. This is easy if your room is big. However, you can not have a large living room, especially if you live in a flat or apartment. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to decorate a small living room that make it look bigger.
- Choose the right paint color. The colors can transform a room dramatically. Small rooms should be painted with cool colors like gray, blue and green. Gray is a great neutral color and looks great in living rooms as it goes with any color scheme. The roof must be painted a lighter shade than the walls to make the room look taller and airy.
- Hang curtains near the ceiling. Choose curtains that reach the ground, and hang them higher than the top of the window. 3 to 4 inches high is a good height. Shades ranging from floor to ceiling creating the illusion of height and space in a small room.
- Choose the right couch. Most furniture companies manufacture “floor sofa” (somecall them “flat sofas”). Use a combination of apartment sofa and chair and a half or a recliner. Two small sofas facing each other with a coffee table in the middle can also work well. Consider sofas or chairs ”without arms”. Make the space more open. Also, make sure you do not have too many pieces of furniture, not only clutter a small living room but make you feel very tight.
- Choose dual function furniture. An ottoman or coffee table with a hidden shelf is ideal for hiding a stack of DVDs. An entertainment center with bookcase allows you to display a few decorative treasures without having to get an independent library in a small space.
- Create a great center of attention. Using a large element seems contrary to decorating a small space, but a great focal point will add style without feeling full. A great piece of art is much better than several small parts, which only serve to create a sense of disorder.
- Use mirrors. Mirrors open up a space and reflect light, making the room seem larger. Place a large mirror over the couch or in front of a window to capture the light. You can also put several small mirrors to create the feeling of a large mirror.
- Light-colored furniture create a feeling of space and is easy to customize.
- Protect furniture and floors when painting, and make sure you have adequate ventilation.